Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Red neck head check

On Apr 24, 1:19*pm, "Tim" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

You couldn't find anyone to vacuum check it for less than $60?

Is your time free?

It takes less than 5 minutes to vacuum check a head. Do you think $720 an
hour is reasonable?

My comment was not intended to be an insult.

In my case yes, $720/hr is reasonable for the task accomplished.

My time is not free.

I wish it were an unlimited resource...I would use it far differently
than how I do now.

Each case is unique....an example.

Recently I had to pay to have a tire repaired. Over my lifetime I have
likely repaired hundreds of tires and know how to do it quickly and
efficiently. In the particular situation that I found myself in, I was
overjoyed to have someone available to fix the tire while I attended
to much more pressing matters with a drop dead deadline. And to add
some details, a deck screw was clearly visible in the face of the
tire. When it was repaired it turns out that the deck screw (the
"obvious" problem) was just a head of the screw that had lodged in the
tread. The real problem was a very slowly leaking tire bead/rim
interface that yours truly had scuffed against a curb the day before.
In this particular case, the time to track down the problem in the
time and with the resources available would have been a "pound wise,
penny foolish" judgment call on my part.

There are times that you simply write the check and get on with life.

A suggestion...if you think checking heads is a money maker then I
recommend setting up the fixture and have at it. If you charge $10
less an hour, you will likely have all the business you can do at $710/
hr.

Isn't this a great Country or what? ;)

TMT