Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_25_] Bill[_25_] is offline

Default Small centralized UPS

LouB wrote:
RickH wrote:
On Apr 24, 9:14 am, "EXT" wrote:
RickH wrote:
I need to put a centralized UPS in my business office. Do I need to
get into an expensive 3 phase unit? Or will the elecrical code allow
me to distribute the outlets from a less expensive 115v consumer UPS,
through existing conduit, (to orange outlets), to 3 separate offices?
The number of computers I need to protect can easily be handled by a
larger consumer unit. However my question is on the code legality of
distributing the UPS outlets back out to the 3 offices. I can esily
pull dedicated wires through the conduit. I would keep the UPS unit
in the electrical room by the mains.
Code varies from location to location, so no one can answer your
question
accurately. However, most codes do not allow different electrical
systems in
the same conduit and electrical boxes. A UPS in most locations would
count
as a separate electric system as it would be powered when the mains
are cut
off and could present a problem if someone worked on the conduit after
turning the mains off or interconnected the two power systems. I
think you
would have to install a separate conduit or wiremold raceway to carry
UPS
powered lines.

Thanks,

I'm so used to pulling, I didn't even think of wiremold, that I know
would be up to code. I can easily come down into each office from the
drop ceiling and still keep the plug-type UPS unit(s) locked up in the
electrical closet.

But you did not respond to the idea of just using individual consuner
UPS systems. WHy not go that route?

Lou

sounds like he wants to reinvent the wheel