Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Folded Dipole

On Apr 24, 9:52*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" *wrote

TOH, NYW, vs. what my wife wants to watch vs. what my son likes to watch.
Or you are too tired to catch the night time news but there is a segment
that you wanted to hear about. *Or a movie comes on at 3:00 AM.

The beauty to being able to record is that if something does come on that
you want to watch is that you watch it when it is convenient for "you" to
watch, not the time that the network thinks is the best time for you to
watch it. *We no longer have to be in front of the TV to watch anything at
any specific time and can record up to 200 hrs of regular and or up to 50
hours of HD TV.

We could literally not watch TV for several weeks and not miss seeing
anything. *We watch TV and what we want when it suits us.

Not using the recorder means you have to wait for commercials and being a
submissive to the networks if you want to watch what they are
broadcasting. With out the recorder you "do" have to work around all of
the Vast Wasteland to view a particular broadcast here and there. *With a
recorder you probably watch less TV because you only turn it on when you
have time to watch it and you are only watching exactly what you intend to
watch.

You have to really try it to understand the efficiency. *I know 4 or 5
people that pretty much made the same comments that you did. *They said we
don't watch much TV we don't need it. *I explained, you don't watch much
TV because the shows you want to watch are not on when you want to watch.
When you learn that you have total access regardless of broadcast time or
channel to the 10% of worth while viewing, you look at the multi channel
recorder a bit differently. *They now have the recorders and wonder how
they ever did with out them. *They spend less time in front of the TV but
see more of what they want.

The beauty of a DVR is that it will search typically 2 weeks in advance
for content that you are interested in . *You search by show name, persons
name, type programming, time or day. *Additionally it will remember your
preferences and automatically record them regardless of day or time,
automatically *changes if the show is moved to another day or time. *And
it will not record repeats if you don't want it to do so, so my DVR only
records NYW about 15 times a year and If I choose to do so I can watch the
entire season in 1 day.

--
I will add these remarks to Leon's comments.

As my wife says, "Thank God for fast forward." *Thee is somg good programs
that would be unwatchable if you had to endure the commercials. Recording
them makes it possible to watch it.

If you find a series that you like, and it is available in repeats, the DVR
allows you to "catch up". *And if you really like the series, catching up
can be fun.

If you are a movie buff, there is gold in mining some of the offerings on
odd hours on obscure channels. *I regularly score a good scifi, golden oldie
or foreign flick this way.

As for my better half, she loves anything about animals and geology
(earthquakes, volcanos, etc). *There are literally hours of programming each
day on these topics. Hell, there is a whole channel devoted to animals.
There is also the National Geographic channel.

Me, I am a history, technology and military buff. *And, of course, I like
woodworking too!! *I like the discovery channel.

There is no doubt that there is a great wasteland on TV. *But if you search
for some good stuff, it is there. *It is like the internet. *Lots of stuff
out there. And there is that subset of good stuff that you like. You just
got work a little to find it. *And WANT to find it.

You can not function well in a digital environment withut some basic search
skills.
--

Mythbusters, Keith and Rachel, Daily Planet, Formula 1, Entourage...
that's about it...