Posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default DAB portable radio with SD record/play mp3 & batteries

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've got a truly ancient AM radio I built from a kit some 40 odd years
ago. Not a pocket set but full sized portable with 7x4" speaker. Plenty
loud enough to fill a room. PP9 battery lasts about 6 months of heavy use.
Not that it gets that these days. ;-)

I had one of the early Trevor Bayliss Freeplay radios. It would run for
almost an hour on a wind at the sort of volume I listen. It could also
bang out some loud noise if required, because apparently that was a plus
point for the African market. Sadly someone loaned it to a friend who
broke it by overwinding. Same friend never quite got around to replacing
it and I don't like the current replacements.