Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell[_2_] SteveBell[_2_] is offline

Default Pro Question

SteveBell wrote:

Are you guys that work on homes and fix them up, remodel them or
just focus in on one trade busy?? I can not believe how busy I
am. I wasn't this busy during the height of the housing boom. I'm
not bitching but just a little miffed by it. What say you?

Same here. All the people who can't afford to buy a new house seem
to be fixing up the one they have instead. When I started my
business, I intended to work a couple of days a week and spend the
rest of the time working for Habitat for Humanity. I'm getting too
much business to work my plan--and it's all by word-of-mouth. I'll
just have to start telling friends I can't take more jobs, I guess.

Ive actually turned down work! That never happened before. If its
something I don't want to do I either bid it high or tell them I'm
not interested.

Same here. A contractor I work for sometimes wanted me to bid on doing
all the doors and finish trim for a 63-unit apartment complex. Me, a
one-man company. Even with them putting up one eight-unit building at a
time, I would have been busy full-time for months. I had to decline on
that one, even though it's the type of work I like best. I'll be
spending a lot of time in the near future taking care of my dad's
estate.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement