Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:16:45 +0100, ian field wrote:
"Joerg" wrote in message
Last year in December I bought a WES51 also here for the lab, to have a
spare. But I started using it a lot because the tiny PES51 pencil lays
much nicer in the hand than the fat LR-20 of the older stations. They
also added a nice feature, not important to me but to companies and the
fire marshall: If the iron isn't moved in an hour or so it automatically
shuts down. Grand total of $92 plus tax, with pencil and one tip, not a
bad deal at all.

Maybe they learned from the mass exodus of customers and fixed the non
existent reliability since the last time I had the misfortune to pay good
money for one of their products, but once bitten twice shy, I'm not giving
them any more of my money.

The same reason I'll never buy another NiMH battery or CFL light.

It was the same for me, for a few years. Then I tried another batch of
CFL because CostCo had them for less than a buck a piece. Philips
Marathon, and they last and last and last. Of course I'd never buy a CFL
at boutique pricing since that's just not worth it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.