Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

Phil Hobbs wrote:
Joerg wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I thought the Miata was ugly, until I saw a PT Cruiser. ;-)

The design is reminiscent of the Chrysler Airstream, which was
a major flop 70+ years ago.

AFAIK the Airstream was not a major flop. The Airflow was, but
mostly due to really bad manufacturing defects.

I might have gotten the name wrong, as I was in a rush. Regardless,
Chrysler
produced a "streamlined" car that the public didn't warm to.

Reason I mentioned it was that the Airflow doesn't look similar to the
PT Cruiser at all while the Airstream does (with the PT Cruiser being
a whole lot smaller).

The Airflow was Ferdinand Porsche's inspiration for the Volkswagen.
That's why most people's immediate reaction on seeing it is "Whoa--a
huge Beetle!"

Not really. AFAIK it was this one that inspired Porsche, he supposedly
had technical discussions with Hans Ledwinka who designed the Tatra car:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tatra_T_77a.jpg

Hard to say though because the Chrysler Airflow came to market at just
about the same time. However, back in those days there was no fast mail,
Internet or even air travel between the US and Europe so information
exchanges would have been slow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/