Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

Default What me start a fight? Nope just trying to be helpful. (long,stupid)

I like my bottoms elegantly plain (on my turnings of course). They
must have a nice shape but not too much ornamentation. Most people
don’t set them upside down on the shelf.

Some of my best work takes place like candid camera, when I least
expect it. Sometimes this happens when I am just practicing but most
of the time it is when I am not under the gun trying to get a specific
kind of piece turned.

My shop always looks like it is being used. That is because it is
always being used. My dad once told me that a messy shop is a sign of
genius. If that is true then I have a higher IQ then I thought.

I have had three beautiful turnings crack on me this week. I looks
like two of them will be able to be filled with a contrasting colored
wood dust and glue. These will be sold as art. The other one will be
helping me roast hotdogs in the fire pit this summer.

I like some of my turnings to have a little heft. Make them too thin
and it seems like people are not getting my money’s worth.

The rest of the saying is, “Close only counts in horseshoes and hand
grenades.” I used to sand to 600 or 800. I have found that most of
my customers are more than satisfied with 320 grit. They like the
look and feel of wood. That is why they buy from me instead of the
guy making pottery.

Shiny finished wood is not always useable. Lots of my customers want
to be able to use the piece they buy for something. How much shine I
put on the piece directly depends on the purpose of the piece. I get
lots of customers telling me that they want their wood to look like
wood, not plastic.

Just some thoughts,
Ted J
thelatentlog.com