Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Way OT -- brake fluid

In article ,
TD Driver wrote:
I've got a 1952 MGTD. When I put her to bed last fall, the brakes were
fine. Now the peddle goes down to the floor. First step is to add
brake fluid, but I don't know what's in there now. Have seen plenty of
cautions about mixing fluid types. Any way of figuring out what's in
there now?

TIA

Larry

It is most likely DOT3 but I would advise flushing the complete brake
system and replacing with fresh fluid.

If you want to determine whether it is glycerine based brake fluid (DOT3 &
DOT 4) take some of the old fluid and see if water mixes with it; Silicone
based fluids (DOT5) do not mix with water.

:wq