Posted to rec.woodworking
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Way OT -- brake fluid

On Apr 23, 1:21*pm, TD Driver wrote:
I've got a 1952 MGTD. *When I put her to bed last fall, the brakes were
fine. *Now the peddle goes down to the floor. *First step is to add
brake fluid, but I don't know what's in there now. *Have seen plenty of
cautions about mixing fluid types. *Any way of figuring out what's in
there now?

TIA

Larry

DOT 3 and 4 *will* mix with water so take a little out of the master
cylinder and add it to a container containing a little water and
shake. If after sitting it separates then you have DOT 5.

DOT 5 is usually purple or blue while 3 & 4 are honey colored.
Unfortunately they all turn a dark brown after a while.

You are correct, do not mix 3 or 4 with 5.

DO NOT spill DOT 3 on anything you like, it will either destroy paint
or rust bare metal.

As was already said you most likely have a leak or a bad master
cylinder. The seals in a master cylinder can go without showing a
leak. Top off the fluid and *gently* pump the pedal to see if you get
improvement. If you don't get improvement start looking for leaks.
If it is one of the wheel cylinders (drum brakes) quite a bit of fluid
can leak inside the drum before you can see any w/o removing the drum.

good luck.