Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Way OT -- brake fluid

TD Driver wrote:
I've got a 1952 MGTD. When I put her to bed last fall, the brakes were
fine. Now the peddle goes down to the floor. First step is to add
brake fluid, but I don't know what's in there now. Have seen plenty of
cautions about mixing fluid types. Any way of figuring out what's in
there now?

TIA

Larry

This means you probably have a leak, right?
The problem with just adding fluid after a leak is that there is
probably air in the lines. Air has a funny way of working its way
through the line to cause a failure at an inopportune time, like when
you want to stop. :-) That means you have to bleed the lines, anyway. If
you're going to bleed the lines, you might as well find the leak and fix
it. I'm assuming you want to keep that classic in shape. :-)

If the leak isn't apparent, I would say you could add the recommended
fluid just to top it off so you can pressurize the system to find the
leak. Evacuate all the fluid. Fix the leak. Refill with recommended
fluid. Bleed the lines. Enjoy a drive.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)