Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Face frame vs. frameless cabinets

On Apr 21, 7:55*pm, "Dick Keats" wrote:
Building a new house. *Time had come to build kitchen and bathroom cabinets.
Would love to get this group's opinion on face frame vs. frameless.
Thanks.
Dick

I think the decision also is a matter of custom-built versus "retail"
cabinets (as I like to call them). You have more options with having
someone build the cabinets than you do with ones made in a factory.

For example, because we had a weird corner in the kitchen that regular
cabinets wouldn't handle, my wife and I saved up and had a Mennonite
company re-do the kitchen when we bought our house and they were able
to do cabinets that have all the postitives of frameless (like no
divider between doors) while giving us the structural positives of
frame cabinets (not to mention the quality of workmanship is
unparalleled in my experience).

As much as I love DIY, I can't recommend enough going with a good
custom cabinetmaker as opposed to pre-fabbed cabinets. The kitchen is
just one of those places where if you don't think your usage through
carefully and spend your money well, you are going to grind your teeth
for the next 20 years at what you COULD have done.