Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Lesher David Lesher is offline

Default truck electric leak

"Don Young" writes:

It probably isn't, but check that there is not a nut on the bolt hiding
behind the bracket. It is fairly likely that the bolt is siezed in the frame
of the alternator and will require drastic measures. If accessible,
application of a heavy hammer as if to drive the bolt in lengthwise often
helps. Just remember to sacrifice the correct parts first. ;)

On a friend's Hyundai with a Mitsu engine, I had the tube that the
alternator pivot bolt went through splint lengthwise and come off. I took
the car sans alternator to a welding shop. He ixnayed that, as the other
side of that alum. front/side cover was the oil pump.

I cleaned both halves, wrapped a pencil in teflon tape and used JB Weld,
then rubber bands to hold it in place to set. Four days later, we put the
alternator back it, and it held. I heard later it lasted the three years
until they sold the car.

(Remember, it's a goat for a SCSI chain, but the correct sacrifice for
a rusted bolt and bracket is a Norway rat...)

--
A host is a host from coast to