Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Radiator cover plans

"Granby" wrote
"RicodJour" wrote in message

The one about the particular colors of paint is floating around
somewhere - I'll see if I can find it and post it later.

Hello, my name is Granby and what I want is to build a table over the hot
water radiator that runs across the floor. All the things that were
described to you were so that it could be a counter top cook space and
such.

I hope my friend will continue to answer any questions you may have. Am
blind and usually top post but understand it isn't permitted here. Had
help getting to the right spot this time. Thank you for any help you can
be.

I have and I've gathered some info together from various posts. The one on
the paint color and how a cover can reduce the effective heat isnt relevant
to your specific design but was very good information. RJ came from the
angle of the full cover which can and does limit the heat output. He didnt
know enough on the need because I didnt add enough for him to tell us what
was needed.

The main tip so far useful to you is to make it a 3 sided design so you can
actually pull it away from the wall at need to do either maintenance on the
radiator or some other need. I agree and my idea allowed for that.

This would mean a foot at each corner and one in the center front (or 2, you
didnt tell me exactly how wide the radiator is). You will want about 1 inch
thick butcher block wood for the top so will need sturdy 'legs' to support
it so it doesnt sag. I am thinking 2x4 which you can sand down and make
look nice for that. A pretty metal grill at front and sides is a nice
touch, but not essential.

Would there be a stud behind the unit in the wall you can then attach an L
shaped holder to? Think of it as just 'hanging there' and holding up the
back of the butcher block about midway or could be more than one spot you
want to add them to. It's too keep the top from sagging over time.

For the rest, please understand that while screen readers for the blind have
some odd quirks in posting, she's not needing more than basics of design.
We just got a bit too 'off topic' for the breadmakers forum when we talked
about how her kitchen didnt have enough counterspace due to location of
radiator taking up a large amount of wall space. She's experienced with
tools and has done projects before.

So for the rest of you, a pretty much freestanding table with possible
support at the back that just rests on an L joint. I am relatively sure she
needs about 12 inches freespace above the radiator top before the bottom of
the 'countertop'. Less will cause warpage of the top when winter heat kicks
in? She by design will have more at the front and sides so wont be an
issue.