Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Tankless Hot water syatem?

"Jimi" wrote in message
el...
Hello,

I just had a person that rates houses for energy efficiency come and
rate our house. One of his suggestions he made was to pull out my existing
Gas fired hot water tank and install a Tankless hot water heating system.
We don't have a family living here only my wife and I and we're both away
through the day working .....so the hot water demand is only morning and
evenings. It makes sense when he explains it. He says "why have a large
tank down there heating water 24/7 when your demand is about an hour a
day?"
Are there any disadvantages to this tankless system? Does anybody here
have one that would care to comment? Thanks.. Jim

My water heater died about a month ago and I took a quick look at tankless
before I bought a new gas tank style.

If you and the wife only take showers and your winter ground temp is warm
then you might break-even on the extra cost in 10 years.

If your winter ground temps are low you should really study the temp rise
factor. How much a tankless system can raise the incoming water temp.

They work for some people and they don't for others. I prefer clean dishes
from the dishwasher and a Jacuzzi full of hot water for my aching back in
the cooler months.

--
Colbyt