Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Worn Friction Hinge on Desk Lamp

On 4/22/2009 8:04 AM Peter spake thus:

Thanks to all who have replied to date. I've attached a front and side view of
one of the friction hinges (all 3 hinges appear to be the same construction).

Just a note: attaching pictures to messages in non-"binary" newsgroups
is considered bad form and annoys some people (doesn't bother me that
much, but others object to it). Better to post pictures on a website
somewhere (free picture-posting sites abound) and put a link to them in
the message.

The lamp was made by Dana lighting (a division of Catalina lighting) but I don't
have a model#. I described the lamp to Catalina in an e-mail and their reply
was that the lamp was discontinued and they don't provide any customer support.

P.S. The small dimple that is visible in the front view near the junction of the
bottom of the arm and the top of the hinge is a press-fit release that allows
the "female" tube of the arm to snap over a "male" extension flange on the hinge
assembly. I pulled the arm off the flange, but the entire flange is sealed
except for a small aperture for the wire and it does not provide any access to
the hinge mechanism itself. Peter

Sounds pretty hopeless so far as trying to disassemble the hinge goes.

I can think of one last-ditch measure you might take: spray the joints
with some kind of "de-lubricant" (i.e., something sticky, like glue or
other adhesive). You might try spraying just a *little* bit of sticky
stuff into the joints to see if that might help grab. Not too much or
you might give the whole thing a bad case of arthritis.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)