Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Red neck head check

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:11:05 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I got to thinking, I know this is a "red neck" way of doing this but
if a person wanted to see if a crack in a head (like my old heads) was
a "functional" leak, would it be possible to somehow plug the coolant
ports in the head with some material like stuffing parts of a rag or
something in there, filling the head partially with water, paint
thiner, etc, and introducing compressed air into a port to see if a
crack between the valves leaked? I just got to thinking about that
last night. I am not going to re use these heads but wondered if it
would work?

You can clean the head real well and then spray on a coat of thinned
oil - diesel will work. Wait a bit and then wipe all the oil off and
then sprinkle powdered chalk all over the head. If there is a crack
the oil will leach out of the crack and the chalk powder will adhere
to the outline of the crack and darken.

Or you can but a "dye check kit" and do it the modern way.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)