Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Welding distortion

"George" wrote in message
Oops, I did it again!

I have 3 electrical cabinets that I have emptied of all the useful
bits and would like to make them into lock-up cupboards. They are 2
mm. mild sheet and stand about 6 ft. high and 3 ft wide with a depth
of about 9 inches.

The doors are having a folded and welded edge for strength, but
because there were a lot of switches and lights etc. there before they
left a lot of holes which needed to be filled. I made some disks of
the correct sizes and thickness and MIG welded them in the holes. This
was in the first door. Smashing, all I needed was to grind down the
welds smooth, a bit of filler and paint. Oh no! The panel has now got
two stable states, both wrong. The panel is distorted and I am
dismayed. Is there any way I can relieve this and make it flat again?

Does anyone have a solution? I would be very happy to try anything.

Thanks and regards George.

I would bevel the plug and the hole so the plug does not fall through the
hole.
I wounld then spot the plug from the back on three points, grind the spots
flat and then sand the front. A can of primer surfacer and a sanding will
cover up any flaws.

John