Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] VK3BFA@wia.org.au is offline

Default truck electric leak

On Apr 23, 10:16 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I narrowed the problem down to my alternator. Drain of .2 amp.

Bounced on it, the wrench came loose along with a bunch of knuckle blood.
Put a cheater on a 9/16 impact 6 point socket - the socket spit in two
parts - never seen that before. Took the radiator out and put my impact
wrench on it, still no joy. I said something like mother f%^& cock %^*&( and
called it a day.

Karl

Karl, as the liberals would say, with feeling - "I feel your pain" -
and what makes you feel even worse is having set yourself up to do it -
there is ALWAYS a strategically placed bracket whose only function is
to inflict injury.....

Well, so much for humour - is this the same truck you were having
trouble with a while ago (last winter?) - it was giving you a hard
time in the battery charging area, then it sort of spontaneously fixed
itself for a while. As others have said, its probably the diodes in
the alternator (or, possibly, the voltage regulator)- while your in
there, particularly if its got a lot of miles on it, replace the
brushes on the slip rings, and the front and rear bearings.If your not
comfortable with doing the electrics, your local auto-electrician (if
there still is one) should be able to test/diagnose it for you.

I have pulled a few apart in recent months, want to make a wind
generator out of one - interesting devices, particularly in how the
get the rotor onto the driveshaft......the 9 inch angle grinder DOES
have many uses....