Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie[_7_] Charlie[_7_] is offline

Default Cutting countertop

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Apr 22, 10:44?am, "Bill" wrote:
I suggest you go buy a used countertop at a recycling center or 2nd hand
store and practice on that first.

Also tell "her" you have not done this before and might mess it up . If
she
wants it "perfect", she should have a professional do it. And if you do
mess
it up and it needs to be redone, then she will have to pay for it. So
decide
now what to do.

I've seen these situations many times before. They don't want to pay much
or
any money to have something done, then when it is not perfect, and I mean
PERFECT, there will be endless complaining.

Sometimes it is better to have a pro do some things and let them take the
heat when the work is not perfect.

"JoeSpareBedroom" ?wrote in message
My next assignment at a friend's new-used house is to cut some
ready-made
Home Depot countertop to correct length, and cut the hole for the sink.
I've got some concerns, mostly due to the fact that I've never done this
before and it's her money.

The pieces will have a backsplash. Cutting a flat piece of countertop
seems easy, if all precautions & preparations are done right. But,
continuing the cut to wrap around the backsplash seems dicey. I'll be
using a sabre saw and I envision doing the cutting from the bottom, as
mentioned in the brochure. I assume it's done this way because the sabre
saw blade cuts on the upstroke, so the teeth won't be trying to push the
laminate off the underlying board.

What's the trick for the backsplash? Cut from the top edge toward the
counter, then cut from the counter's front edge toward the backsplash,
and
then join the two cuts (while praying)? Maybe finish that cut with a
keyhole saw? My friend will be buying the end cap kit mentioned in the
brochure, but I don't know yet how much fractional error these kits can
cover up, if any.- Hide quoted text -

I trimmed a tree for a friend with little money, the tree laying on
the garage roof was ripping it off. I tarped the garage roof after
trimming tree. It was winter.garage roof was leaking

She complained to everyone I killed her tree, just like I said by next
summer the tree looked great, you would of never known it had been
trimmed.

I got sick of hearing from everyone about kiing the tree. Less likely
to help anyone in the future......

people who want stuff done for free shouldnt complain if its not
perfect.

incidently 3 years later a neighbor irritated with the overgrown tree
chain sawed it off at about 4 feet. its growing back again.

the family ignores everything till its a disaster.........

All this just brings to mind the words of the sage: No good deed goes
unpunished.

Charlie