Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Cutting countertop

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

My next assignment at a friend's new-used house is to cut some
ready-made Home Depot countertop to correct length, and cut the hole
for the sink. I've got some concerns, mostly due to the fact that I've
never done this before and it's her money.

The pieces will have a backsplash. Cutting a flat piece of countertop
seems easy, if all precautions & preparations are done right. But,
continuing the cut to wrap around the backsplash seems dicey. I'll be
using a sabre saw and I envision doing the cutting from the bottom, as
mentioned in the brochure. I assume it's done this way because the
sabre saw blade cuts on the upstroke, so the teeth won't be trying to
push the laminate off the underlying board.

What's the trick for the backsplash? Cut from the top edge toward the
counter, then cut from the counter's front edge toward the backsplash,
and then join the two cuts (while praying)? Maybe finish that cut with
a keyhole saw? My friend will be buying the end cap kit mentioned in
the brochure, but I don't know yet how much fractional error these
kits can cover up, if any.

Joe:

Check this out: http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

I had never cut one before a few months ago. Asked on this NG as you did
and got a pointer to it. Made the jig. Came out perfect. Cut with a
circular saw...please...buy one, borrow one, whatever. Make sure the blade
is sharp. Hopefully you have enough to cut off to practice one so you have
a feel for it.

Search this group from mid November timeframe for the original thread of
mine.

Pat Barber wrote in
:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

Red Green wrote:
I've pulled and replaced countertop (same piece) several times. This
time I think I need to replace some. Just going to use some 9/10 ft
store stock stuff.

Question is in regard to cutting to length. All cuts are 90 degrees.
Borg does not cut lengths.

Again, thanks to Pat Barber wo posted the link originally.