Posted to alt.home.repair
Worn out Retread Worn out Retread is offline

Default Cutting countertop

You are correct in cutting the counter top from the back side of the counter
top. Not knowing what kind of end cap you are going to install makes a
difference in the precision that is required in the cut. To make the end as
perfect as possible cut a little outside the line (longer than desired) and
using a belt sander with a fine grit belt sand down to the line (from the
back just like the saw).

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
My next assignment at a friend's new-used house is to cut some ready-made
Home Depot countertop to correct length, and cut the hole for the sink.
I've got some concerns, mostly due to the fact that I've never done this
before and it's her money.

The pieces will have a backsplash. Cutting a flat piece of countertop
seems easy, if all precautions & preparations are done right. But,
continuing the cut to wrap around the backsplash seems dicey. I'll be
using a sabre saw and I envision doing the cutting from the bottom, as
mentioned in the brochure. I assume it's done this way because the sabre
saw blade cuts on the upstroke, so the teeth won't be trying to push the
laminate off the underlying board.

What's the trick for the backsplash? Cut from the top edge toward the
counter, then cut from the counter's front edge toward the backsplash, and
then join the two cuts (while praying)? Maybe finish that cut with a
keyhole saw? My friend will be buying the end cap kit mentioned in the
brochure, but I don't know yet how much fractional error these kits can
cover up, if any.