Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default Red neck head check

On Apr 22, 11:00*am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Apr 22, 8:11*am, stryped wrote:

I got to thinking, I know this is a "red neck" way of doing this but
if a person wanted to see if a crack in a head (like my old heads) was
a "functional" leak, would it be possible to somehow plug the coolant
ports in the head with some material like stuffing parts of a rag or
something in there, filling the head partially with water, paint
thiner, etc, and introducing compressed air into a port to see if a
crack between the valves leaked? I just got to thinking about that
last night. I am not going to re use these heads but wondered if it
would work?

What is your time worth?

If it is worth anything, get it tested properly.

One only has to spend a hour or two messing around to pay for testing.

Many shops will do it for free.

TMT

I wish I could find one. It is 60 bucks around here.