Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs Bill Marrs is offline

Default Rotomolding experience anyone?

"Nutz" wrote in message
Sure its not metal but it's not politics or global warming!

I was wondering why rotomolded plastic water tanks are so expensive.

The raw materials are generally regarded as cheap, the manufacturing
process seems on the surface to be simple. I guess transport /
distribution of a bulky product could be costly. Anyone got some ideas?

The process is simple---bolt a steel mold together, dump in a quantity of
plastic
powder, heat and rotate/tumble/turn through 3 axis while the powder melts
and
coats the inside of the mold. Cool, open mold and remove part. On smaller
parts like spot sprayer tanks, there may be several molds on the framework
at the same time. Big parts like water tanks are one or two

The process is time, labor and energy intensive, in addition to being very
inefficient
on freight.

Where are you? Might be cost effective to do a pickup at the factory.