Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Wood fence post coated with tar?

I had a wood fence built last year, the code calls for 4x4 PT posts embedded
in concrete 12" deep, which is what I did. I have always wondered how long
this PT post would last in the hot and humid Miami sun and rain.

A few days ago I drove by a house where they just had a new wood fence up.
I noticed the bottom of the fence post where it meets the ground all of the
post had been painted with something black with the consistency and texture
of tar. I am pretty sure this is something done to prevent the post from
getting in contact of water. Wish I had thought of that, and curious if
this is a common procedure. I hope my posts will give me at least 5 years
before I have to do it all over again.

MC