CRB

Default How loud is 43Db

"Dee" wrote in message ...
How loud is 43Db when compared with 52Db. Sorry to ask what seems to me as a
slightly daft question but our kitchen is open plan and noisy appliances are
not welcome.

I obviously do not own a decibel meter (I am sure they are not called that).
So could anyone offer a comparison.

Thanks

AndyP

As a very rough rule of thumb (with all sorts of caveats), 10 db
equates to a perceived difference of 2:1, thus 10dB greater will sound
twice as loud, and 10dB lower will sound half as loud. Similarly, a
3dB change will be detectable if switched quickly from one level to
the other, but not detectable in a longer-term comparison test (using
a chi-squared test for example). Bear in mind that the response of
the ear is quasi-logarithmic, rather than linear.

CRB