Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Radiator cover plans

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"Oren" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Hi, helping a friend here. She's looking for simple plans for a
radiator cover. I see nothing like what I have seen in other's
houses when it's a kitchen.

Any additional ideas I may have missed?

You want something, easily movable and easy repairs. I have seen
three sided radiator covers. Shelf on top and can still pull it away
from the wall. Just thinking about the future...

Agreed fully. I can flesh out the plan a bit more. Pretty sure no
room for a back (against wall) stantion piece. Was planning a 3 sided
sort you can just pull away from the wall.

In this one, she also has side shelves (at least one one side) to use
for rising bread in the leached warmth in winter.

In our former home, I built bookcases under the windows with a "hole"
where the radiators were. I put an aluminum foil-like thingy behind the
radiator to insulate the wall a bit more and reflect the heat (forget the
official name). Highly recommended. In addition, in front of the
radiator itself, I left about 3 inches at the bottom and the top open,
the remainder was a piece of radiator front metal patterned mesh bought
in the local hardware store or predecessor of HD. This setup had the
advantage of acting as a conduit to blow the heated air into the room,
totally by passive convection, no fans, but strong nevertheles. We had
steam heat. Whole setup worked beautifully!

--
Best regards
Han