Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Worn Friction Hinge on Desk Lamp

On 4/21/2009 12:27 PM Peter spake thus:

I've got a clamp-on, adjustable swing arm desk lamp with fully
enclosed friction hinges connecting the base, the arms, and the
shade. There are no springs, tension knobs, screw holes, or any other
apparent method of adjusting the friction. The hinge closest to the
base has worn and no longer supports any extended lamp position. I
don't even see any way to disassemble the hinges. I've spent hours
with Google trying to get help, but no luck. The manufacturer has not
been of help either. Any bright ideas?

You say the hinges are fully enclosed: does this mean that there's some
kind of cover over them, or does the exterior of the lamp arms form the
cover? There must be some way to get at that hinge. Any sign of a
dimple, slot, rivet, any other fastener/opening to gain access?

How about posting pictures of it? All the swing arm lamps I have are the
el cheapo kind where everything's bare naked exposed.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)