Posted to alt.home.repair
Kbalz Kbalz is offline

Default How do I know if I need a subfloor?

On Apr 21, 4:02*pm, ransley wrote:
On Apr 21, 1:53*pm, "Art" wrote:

Not to kill your project but are you absolutely sure the basement is dry
with an external drainage system that works. *Also, attach some clear
plastic to the concrete floor with duct tape, about a foot square, and check
overnight for moisture under plastic.

"Kbalz" wrote in message

I'm planning to finish my basement. My house is only 4 years old, the
basement is concrete walls & floor slabs. The previous owner framed &
insulated most of the walls, two walls remain un-framed.

The basement has one main room, with a bathroom and utility room
(furnace & wash/dryer). The bathroom door is in line with the slider
to outside. My floor plan was to have large tile floor in the
bathroom, but use the same tile in the main room for the portion that
connects the slider door and bath room door. The rest (85%) of the
main room would be carpet. The utility room also would be tile.

Not sure how well this will show up in google groups, the dots are
tile, equalsigns are carpet:

----------
outsidewall-----------------------------------------------------------
(bar).......|......................|.............. ......|
\slider................................
\bathroom........|.....utility........|
|........................................|........ ..............|...........**..........|
|====================|.......................|.... ...............|
|====================|----------------------....................|
|=======main==========|........................... ................|
|======room===========|__________________| |____/
|=========================================|

Not to scale of course but my point is that the main room will have
two different floor types (carpet & tile). Whats the best approach to
finish the floors?

Also, do I finish framing the walls first, or do the floors before the
walls? Or do I drywall the walls / ceilings THEN do the floors? Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Right but even if its dry basements can get wet from pipes etc
breaking, area rugs are often best.- Hide quoted text -

ransley - I'll run that idea by the wife, area rugs on the concrete..
not.