Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Mitre Saw Purchase - Tips and considerations?

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
dennis@home wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:
fwiw:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....tre_saw_review

PS How much accuracy do you need for a reroof job?

Indeed. I've got an el cheapo PPPro sliding one - but with a 10"
blade. It doesn't have indents for the common angles - just a scale,
but the pointer is adjustable. The slide action is a bit sticky, but
the upside is there's pretty well no slop. For most things just
setting it with the scale is fine - for accurate things you can use
a set square. It will cut a 12" wide plank - and 4 x 2. Anything
which didn't would be a waste of time. It's one of those tools which
does everything I need. I'm sure a
good make at several times the price would be better - but even
although it gets a lot of use I couldn't justify spending that much.

I've got a PPro one too, best £20 I spent on a saw.
Mine is big as it has a 12" blade and it weighs a ton.
The twin shafts run in roller bearings and its fine.

£20? Are you sure Dennis?

Yes.
I bought a SCMS and a table saw + stand for £45, both PPro.
I am pretty sure the SCMS was £20 and the table saw was £25 but it could
have been viccy versa.