Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default sand in water pipes

On Apr 21, 7:17*am, "Jim Jones"
wrote:
I had a sprinkler system problem that required several repairs and in that
process I seem to have gotten a lot of debris in the pipes inside my home..
In fact, the final repair was made (by me) and when I turned on the water at
the street, there was no pressure at all! I fooled with this and that then
when I was in the garage, I heard sound from the pipes I never heard before.
The main cutoff for the house is there behind the water heater so I closed
the valve all the way, then reopened it and in that process I must have
knocked the plug loose because I now had pressure albeit weak. Since them,
I've had to flush out all the toilet fill valves. I've taken off the
aerators of most faucets to clean out the screens. But I still have pressure
problems. The main one now (or next on the list) is the washing machine.
When the rinse is set to cold, it would probably take a 30 minutes to fill
the tub. I've put it on warm so we can at least do laundry. How would I go
about flushing the clog in a washing machine, and does anyone have any
suggestions about how to flush out the whole system?

To begin with; you should have a double check valve on lawn sprinklers
to avoid contaminating the house water, most places require this.
If you use chemicals on your lawn, you probably have some of that too.
since the main shut off helped, try that again, & open the nearest
faucet and let it run for like an hour.