Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jones Jim Jones is offline

Default sand in water pipes

To avoid future issues whole house filters at the incomming main are very
cheap, mine has a clear
housing to see any buildup.

I need to do something, yes. When I put my sprinkler system in 20 years ago
(myself) I dug down to the footing where the water line enters the crawl
space (it's a blue plastic line about 1/2") cut the line and installed a
compression T where the T went to my sprinkler system. After 20 years the
plastic pipes broke, then when I fixed them the blue plastic started coming
loose from that compression T so I had to fix this 3 times before it was
really "fixed". So in the times when the system was broken there were
several hours of time that the water was flowing out through the dirt before
the leak was detected. I was very surprised at how much dirt can get into
the system.