John Stumbles

Default Another toolkit question

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote:

"Martin Angove" wrote

---8---

* decent battery drill/driver, mostly for screwdriving. Been
considering Makita and DeWalt 12V and 14V items.

if you've got a mains SDS, then cordless hammer may be an essential.

Good thought, but that pushes the price up again, from c.125ukp for a
12V Makita drill/driver without hammer to c215ukp for a 12V Makita with
hammer. Ok, the hammer drill has a 13mm chuck and NiMH batteries...

I use the 'universal' or 'multipurpose' or whatever they call them drill
bits Screwfix do with my (non-hammer) cordless. They're basically sharp
masonry drills that go through without hammer action (and you can drill
through wood or metal too - useful for fixing stuff to walls in one go).

---8---

* decent jigsaw, or some other tool to enable me to get under t&g
floorboards without too much hassle.

As long as the depth of cut is sufficient, this may be a good use for a
cordless circular.

Good suggestion. Again, someone else has suggested a circular saw
instead of a jigsaw for this task. I don't envisage too many other
"wood cutting" operations, so a battery circular may well be the ideal
tool. Price again though; 309ukp for an 18V 165mm Makita versus 85ukp
for a 240V 165mm Makita.

I use the jig more than the circ, but a woodcutting blade for the angle
grinder is on my list (sure there was a thread about this recently - someone
said don't get 'chainsaw' type blades, but I haven't been able to find
anything)

---8---

* small vaccuum. Having trouble finding one at the moment.

A handheld cordless vac that worked would be a boon ...

---8---

Decent first aid kit in the van.

I carry plasters, and tweezers (in Swiss Navy Knife) for getting out
splinters and extra dioptre reading glasses so I can see while doing it
(with the £5 headlight torch if need be)

A low set of step ladders, in addition to taller ones?

It depends what I can carry really. I was thinking of a small 2- or
3-step set to start with as, other than lofts, that's all I've needed so
far.

I have one of those that double as step ladder or extension ladder - reach
lofts but not much more, but haven't needed more (yet)

hth

--
John Stumbles