Posted to alt.home.repair
Luckyme Luckyme is offline

Default lawn sprinkler system

"trailer" wrote in message
I'm currently considering a lawn sprinkler system for my front (only)
yard.
I would have this installed through a lawn sprinkler company.

Since I've never had a lawn sprinkler system, I was wondering about the
advantages/disadvantages of installing and using one.

Currently, I just use the regular type sprinklers (using hoses) to water
my
yard. I would expect that an underground sprinkler system would provide a
better way of covering my yard.

Would a sprinkler system save me money and use less water? The quoted
cost
for installed system is well above $2K from a respected company.

I live in northern Texas.

We have our system for over 20 years and we do not have any regrets. It is
very convenient and you can turn it on automatically at anytime you want.
To save money and water, we turn it on at night. Depending on the size of
the lawn, you will be constantly checking the time and moving your sprinkler
if you do it manually. The downside of an automatic system is - because of
our cold winter here,
we have to use a compressor to blow off the water on the lines before
winter.
And because of the frost and the shifting of soil, some sprinkle heads may
be moved
up higher out of the soil and you can damage it with your mower. So you
will have to weigh
the pros and cons depending on your situation.