Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Unpotting a transformer

RoyJ wrote:

I picked up a 600 watt power pack for running those little sidewalk and
yard lights. Photo sensor is shot, transformer is massive. Salvage time.
But the whole transformer is potted in some sort of black tar. I scraped
some of it out, looks like it softens at 200F, goes semi liquid at 250F,
and fully liquid at 275F. Easy enough to rig a tent over a catch basin
and aim a heater in there but what about the temp rise on the wires? I
would need to run it at the 250F to 275F (120C to 135C) range for
perhaps an hour to get all the goo out.

http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/E...gnet_Wire.html

Indicates a max working temp of 130C

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_wire

Has a higher temp.

http://www.mwswire.com/awgsearch2.asp

Size 30 insulation PE (plain enamel)

INSULATION INFORMATION:
Temperature Class: 105° C
Insulation Type: Plain Enamel
MWS Code: PE NEMA Specification: MW 1C
Federal Specification: JW1177/1
IEC Specification: NONE
Insulation Characteristics:
Available in 40 - 44 AWG, Plain enamel magnet wire is insulation with a film of
conventional oleoresinous enamel. Enamel has good adherence, flexibility, thermal and
solvent resistance. Enamel requires mechanical stripping prior to soldering.
General Applications:
High production relays and coils. Avoid using in presence of synthetic solvents.

Looks like your mileage may vary on this one, Roy.

If you decide to do this, go low on temp and slow rather than a bit higher and quicker.

Wes