Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving an Air Compressor

On Apr 20, 2:02*pm, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:56:37 -0700, Carla Fong

wrote:
We just found a used upright air compressor.

When we pick this up and move it, is there any reason we could not lay
it on its side in the bed of the pickup, rather than hauling it upright
with the compressor on the top?

These things look top-heavy and unstable, but every time I've seen one
being transported it was upright (usually on a skid or pallet).

It can be transported upright safely - IF you have a ladder rack or
other support system in the truck that you can lash the compressor to.
If you are going more than a few miles (slow and easy) it needs to be
secure, and that takes solid bracing.

* (Been there, brought home my "5 HP" (3 HP) 80-gallon in a Utility
Bed with a ladder rack.)

* *Otherwise you hit the brakes hard and it can fall over forward and
wipe out the truck cab. *Or take a corner too hard and it can fall
sideways and wipe out the bed.

* Do NOT count on diagonal lashings down to the truck bed rails. *You
would need the big 4" semi-truck style cargo straps to be strong
enough for that, which would gladly create forces that would *rip out
any anchor fittings you normally use on a pickup bed.

* And your anchoring options at the top of the compressor are very
limited. *Wrap around the baseplate, or wrap through the baseplate.

Is this like a refrigeration compressor with oil sluicing around and we
would need to let it sit for a couple of days to allow the oil to pool
back into the sump - or is it likely that we'd damage it just by putting
it on its side regardless?

* No, the oil is more of a "car engine" style problem - Drain it out
or you get a big sloppy mess when you tilt it on the side. *Ever seen
a rolled over car? *Oil comes out the dipstick hole, and the filler
hole, and the oil seal seeps, and the brake fluid from the reservoir,
and the power steering fluid... *Bring a mop.

* I would not try transporting it on it's side complete - way too easy
to break something irreplaceable on the pump, cast iron doesn't
bounce. *Drain the pump oil, then break it down to major components.
Belt guard, motor, pump, pressure switch, motor starter. *And build a
simple crate for the pump, cardboard isn't going to protect it.

* Now all of a sudden your tank isn't nearly as top-heavy anymore!

* And as a bonus you did an oil change on the pump, and get a chance
to change the belts out with new, and put on a fresh air filter, and
inspect everything as you put it all back together.

* *Pressurize the tank with an external compressor and do a bubble
test on the tank check valve (where the unloader hooks up) before
putting the output tube back on. *So you don't have to do it twice.

* * *-- Bruce --

Good suggestions Bruce.

TMT