Simon

Default Corian

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
On 22-Oct-2003, reg (Gfretwell) wrote:

Corian is really pretty tough stuff, I can't imagine how you would break

it.

OTOH, I know a bunch of folks who have tried using ivory coloured Corian
as fake ivory and gave up because it's too brittle in use.

Corian is basically an acrylic without any reinforcement, it is strong in
itself but in the machining it can develop minute cracks that will propogate
almost like glass, if it hasn't been machined correctly. once in place, if
it has been correctly fitted, it will be very durable, it can take a fair
amount of heat, but not a hot pan straight off the stove.
I have used acrylics for fake ivory, the base monomer and polymer materials
and I have reinforced them with natural animal hair, it gives a grain and
makes for a very natural look as well as strengthens the material.