Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default How to dig deep post holes with water?

On Apr 19, 6:51*pm, trg-s338 wrote:
On Apr 19, 3:58*pm, E Z Peaces wrote:

trg-s338 wrote:
Getting old, had bilateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome surgery recently. *I
therefore cannot use the post hole digger like I used to. *

I've always hated using a post hole digger in hard clay. *My grandfather
used the end of a heavy bar to break up the clay. *I used to dump in a
bucket of water, return in an hour to remove the mud with a post hole
digger, and dump in more water.

A garden claw can make the job easier. *It can be used as a sort of
drill. *It has four tines and a handlebar a little like a bicycle. *I
turn it to loosen the clay at the bottom of the hole, remove the loose
stuff with a post hole digger, and loosen some more with the claw. *My
claw is three feet long.

Thank you for the input from all. *I am building a permitted patio
cover in my backyard but I am trying to minimize the noise factor in
my construction because I have two neighbors who are very averse to
noise and I am trying to avoid further conflict and maintain the
peace, so to speak. I am also trying to keep costs down, hence my
wanting to do the laborious parts. *The job is not such a great rush,
I suppose I could slowly chip at the work using some suggestions
previously given. I am trying to dig to 4 feet because the top 2 feet
is considered a moving/erodeable layer and the stable soil is below
that per the soils studies by the city. Thanks again.

The noise from a gas power washer and the water stream will be
anoying since it will be a loud slow process. You will have alot more
expense than paying someone to do the job in 1-2 hours with an auger,
plus the mess you will make blasting. 4ft down unless frost is 48",
you go to maybe -35f or you have peat soil which you dont, Id say you
are overdoing everything.