Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default O/T: Finally

notbob wrote:
On 2009-04-19, HeyBub wrote:

You found out swamp coolers don't work in Houston, eh?

Maybe you could sell it to someone in New Orleans?

Oooh! ...harsh. :|

For many years folks from Houston visited New Orleans where we were met with
gracious and exuberant hospitality. I could tell you stories...

So, when Katrina came along, we were more than eager to repay the many
instances of hospitality. We opened the Astrodome and accepted 75,000
evacuees. We tried hard to integrate them into our society.

It didn't work.

I've had more than one Houston Police officer tell me a common refrain is:
"Watch you mean I can't be moseyin' in my 'hood with a malt and a toke?"
Fortunately, the undesirable elements are killing each other off with great
regularity and the remainder experience "Texas Justice."

We don't lack of prison space like California. During the bountiful years we
built prisons as far as the eye could see. Our prison system grows virtually
all its own food - except for a few things like coffee and pepper. The
system has cotton fields, textile mills, and the women's unit takes the
cloth and makes uniforms, bedding, and sundry items.

You might want to browse through the other stuff the Texas Department of
Corrections makes. It's an interesting study.

Texas Correctional Industries
http://www.tci.tdcj.state.tx.us/

Anyway, when Hurricane Yikes! came along, and more evacuations from New
Orleans seemed imminent, the Ad Hoc Vigilance Committee for New Orleans
Evacuees was hastily assembled. Members jobs were to stand on the side of
Interstate 10 holding signs that said "This Way to San Antonio."