Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default How to dig deep post holes with water?

trg-s338 wrote:
On Apr 19, 3:58 pm, E Z Peaces wrote:
trg-s338 wrote:
Getting old, had bilateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome surgery recently. I
therefore cannot use the post hole digger like I used to.

I've always hated using a post hole digger in hard clay. My grandfather
used the end of a heavy bar to break up the clay. I used to dump in a
bucket of water, return in an hour to remove the mud with a post hole
digger, and dump in more water.

A garden claw can make the job easier. It can be used as a sort of
drill. It has four tines and a handlebar a little like a bicycle. I
turn it to loosen the clay at the bottom of the hole, remove the loose
stuff with a post hole digger, and loosen some more with the claw. My
claw is three feet long.

Thank you for the input from all. I am building a permitted patio
cover in my backyard but I am trying to minimize the noise factor in
my construction because I have two neighbors who are very averse to
noise and I am trying to avoid further conflict and maintain the
peace, so to speak. I am also trying to keep costs down, hence my
wanting to do the laborious parts. The job is not such a great rush,
I suppose I could slowly chip at the work using some suggestions
previously given. I am trying to dig to 4 feet because the top 2 feet
is considered a moving/erodeable layer and the stable soil is below
that per the soils studies by the city. Thanks again.

You know, it only takes about 10 minutes per hole with the proper
equipment. A small tractor makes little noise. And during the day,
they don't really have a complaint. They could always get a job and be
gone.....