Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default Gas Boiler Efficiency and Hot Returns

Because I've got old radiators, the return to my boiler when the heating
is running is pretty high. Which means that condensing boilers, which
like a return temperature below 55, wouldn't be running at peak. In
fact most of the time probably won't be condensing at all!

But it occurs to me that there's a nice cold fluid floating about in the
system - the incoming air. If the exhaust was used to preheat the
incoming air, the exhaust would be cooler and the pre-burn mixture
hotter - both Good Things. Power stations have been doing this for decades.

Anyone know of a domestic boiler manufacturer that uses this trick? Of
course, it would probably be a convenient side effect of a good long
balanced flue...

Andy