Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Paint for a cement floor?

Lee B wrote:
My newish-to-me house has a Florida room with a cement floor. It's
painted and can be a bit slick, especially for my dogs with fuzzy
feet. The patio is the same level with the cement outside of the
expanse of sliding patio doors (maybe even the same, just with the
track across it). During hard rains, I get small puddles just inside
of the tracks, which is the subject of another question sometime. The
problem, though, is that I really don't want to put down decent
carpeting for traction until that's resolved. I haven't slipped, but
I am a bit concerned that it could be slick if wet and I have guests.

Any suggestions on how to treat the floor? Deck paint? That speckled
stuff I've seen for garages?

I'd repaint with non-skid paint. They have smallish but uniformly sized
particles in the paint so that you get miniscule bumps when the paint dries.
The particles can be any of many different things...sand, ground rubber,
ground walnut shells, etc. It can sometimes be hard to keep the paint
stirred well so that particle suspension is uniform.

The few times I've wanted a non-skid surface I rolled on a coat of paint
(usually polyurethane) and while still tacky broadcast fine sand over it.
When dry, I swept up all the sand that was loose and rolled on another coat
of paint.

Info on non-skid paint
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...aq=1&oq=non-sk

--