Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Occupancy sensor switch with CFL bulb light fixture

On Apr 18, 6:32*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"BetaB4" wrote in message

I want to put in an occupancy sensor wall switch to control a new ceiling
light that uses a CFL bulb. *The switch I want to get is a Leviton
PR-150-1L.

When I read the product specs online, it says it can be used to turn on
"incandescent and Rapid Start Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting
loads". Here's the link to the product info:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGe...emId=qZ-ZWUgo7....

Is a CFL bulb a "Rapid Start Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting load"?
Nothing in the specs mentions CFL lighting fixtures, just "Rapid Start
Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting loads" -- whatever that is.

Also, this light fixture is at the end of a wiring circuit. *The existing
fixture is just a bulb holder with a pull chain to turn it on and off.
I'm going to eliminate that fixture, replace it with a CFL-bulb ceiling
light fixture (with no pull chain), and run a new wire from the light
fixture to the new occupancy sensor switch. *I was thinking that to do
that, the new wire to the switch would be a "switch loop" since the power
is at the light. I think that means that the switch loop will have a black
wire at the switch and a white wire that is coded black -- in other words,
essentially just two "black" wires at the switch and no neutral white
wire. *Is that correct? Will I be able to wire the occupancy sensor light
switch with just these two "black" wires coming to the switch?

The CFL does not have a magnetic ballast, so most likely that motion sensor
won't work. Your wiring scheme is correct however, I would run a three
conductor cable to the switch location, as some motion sensors do require a
neutral. I'm not sure if anything is currently on the market that will
control a CFL, but in all likelyhood, it won't be long before something
becomes available. My guess is that anything that will control a load as
small as a CFL will probably require a neutral to operate, so be prepared if
you're doing the wiring ahead of time

What's different about a motion sensor that would prevent it from
operating any bulb screwed into a standard socket?

Doesn't it just close contacts that pass power to the fixture? How
would it know what's screwed into it?

(It's late and I haven't learned anything new today, so hurry up with
an answer!)