Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael B Michael B is offline

Default Solar Fans vs. Wind turbines

On Apr 16, 11:20*am, (texan1) wrote:
Seems like we need to replace a roof after most recent storm in our
(Dallas,TX) area.I'm thinking about putting impact resisting shingles and
since it requires
more ventilation I can't decide if I should put additional wind turbines
or have a solar fan installed instead. Our electric bill is not that high
during the summer so I'm not sure if there is any benefit of having a
solar vent + we have plenty of wind to keep turbines rolling.

Whatever you do decide to do, pay attention to total venting area.
If you don't have at least one square foot vent opening per 300 square
feet of vented space, your shingle warranty is likely to be void. But
suggest twice that, 1 foot per 150 square ft of vented space.
Owens-Corning says square footage, with no regard to how it's done.
And do the math. Area is pi times radius squared. A 12" turbine has
a radius of 6". Squared it's 36. So the square footage for that vent
is
barely 110", certainly less than a square foot for each turbine.

Make sure you've got good soffit venting, too.