Posted to rec.woodworking
C & S C & S is offline

Default Tip: Really really cheap spray "equipment"

My Swmbo is openning a small retail establishment in a couple of weeks.
Consequently, I have become "fixture-boy" for the last 6 weeks.

I just completed 12 feet of 7'-high shelving with 1/4" luan backs,
basically 3 large bookshelves. My finishing schedule calls for sealcoat
(shellac) fillowed by a coat of thinned poly.

I don't own any spray equipment, so brushing that first coat, especially
onto the thirsty luan was going to take some time.

On a whim, I decided to fill up a regulay spray bottle (like the kind for
ironing or misting your plants). I'll be damned.... it worked astoundingly
well. It's probably not suitable for a finish coat but perfectly acceptable
for a sealer.

For $2.50 I don't even feel like I have to clean it (although I did).

FWIW I thinned the sealcoat to a 1# cut.

-Steve