Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small petrol engine - cylinder head bolt torque?

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
Rob G wrote:
Thanks Mike - gave me the leads I needed. Interestingly in the end
the torque of 140 in-lbs is standard for 3/8" steel bolts in
Aluminium.

I'd check again. The bolts on my SD1 cylinder head are approx 3/8 and
go into aluminium threads. 70 ft.lb.

A rule of thumb is using the correct ring spanner rather than socket
set will give approx the right torque with a good pull. You couldn't
achieve 140 lb.ft doing this.

How come nobody appears to be able to read the units properly? in-lbs !=
ft.lb, it's a factor of 12 different.

(you're at least the third person to make this mistake on this thread,
and I think the other two I've seen have indeed gone "D'oh" or some
such equivalent).

Came late to the thread.
However, in defence, the normal way to quote torque figures for this sort
of app in the UK was lb.ft.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW