Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob G[_3_] Rob G[_3_] is offline

Default Small petrol engine - cylinder head bolt torque?

On 17 Apr, 19:39, Jules
wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 01:18:18 +0100, Mike wrote:
Briggs and Stratton have a lot of workshop manuals on their website
for both current products and ancient ones.

Hmm, shame they only list model numbers - we've got a B&S 10HP/362cc
4-stroke in our mower*, but there's no data plate on it to tell us what
model it is (and I'm not sure I fancy downloading every pdf file on the
B&S site just in case :-)

* leaks oil like a sieve and needs a new crank seal - if I had the manual
I'd strip it all down and give it a general once-over too, though.

cheers

Jules

If you look on the various covers, you will find a 17 digit number
( in 3 blocks) stamped into the metal. My engine was made in April
1967 I learnt from these numbers which in my case are stamped on the
carburetor side of the fan housing. If you search the B & S website
diligently enough all the info is there - having said that I did find
a number for the manual for mine but couldn't get a download.

In the end I emailed B & S UK - and of course immediately found the
info for myself - and they came back impressively quickly with the
head torque I was after.

Another useful site is www.small-engines.com
http://www.small-engines.com

Rob