Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Small petrol engine - cylinder head bolt torque?

Rob G wrote:
On 17 Apr, 19:19, "Clot" wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Clot wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Rob G wrote:
On 17 Apr, 01:18, Mike wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:32:31 -0700 (PDT), robgraham

wrote:
I forgot when I posted some days back about my elderly
cultivator engine that I would need to know approximately what
torque to tighten the head bolts to. It's a Briggs and
Stratton single cylinder, side valve petrol engine, 3.5 hp,
possibly 1960's vintage. The block is aluminium.
Briggs and Stratton have a lot of workshop manuals on their
website for both current products and ancient ones. They are
complete with dismantling and rebuild instructions, exploded
views and torque figures, find something that looks similar in
construction and use the figures they quote!

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...nual_and_more/

or you'll more likely find it here

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...d_more/doclist...

--
Thanks Mike - gave me the leads I needed. Interestingly in the
end the torque of 140 in-lbs is standard for 3/8" steel bolts in

Rob
That sounds WAY too much.

10 stone on a foot bar?

Thanks, I thought my memory was at fault. Seem to recall doing BMCs
to about 150 ft lbs. years ago which were not aluminium!

Im just looking in a haynes manual Cast iron cylinder head bolts
40lb ft
Oh, hang on 140 in lbs, that's about 12 lb feet!!!

Yup. That sounds more like it. Whoever did it in lb-inches!!

Ah! So I had got it wrong, mixing the units, in lbs and ft lbs. Next
time I root through the old tools in the back of the garage, I shall
have to see what the torque wrench units were!

Guessed you must have fallen for that one !!! A 12x overload would
have qualified for the suggestion of tightening to pull-out and then
install thread inserts !

Interestingly all the B & S tables are in in-lbs (rather than lb-
ins!!), so that must be a 'Merican thing.

Fortunately the only torque wrench I have is a 1/4"socket one
calibrated in Newtons and in-lbs.

Anyway the motor (ooops engine, been reading too many US websites)
still doesn't work but I suspect my messing around has also got muck
in the carb. Hey-ho!

Fortunately, despite having stripped and rebuilt many an engine, I've never
sheared a bolt or stripped a thread, (at least not a critical one that I can
recall)! Argh, it's got me thinking of the number of Maxi crankshaft
oilseals I've replaced in years gone by. Got to the stage where I could
replace one at the roadside in three quarters of an hour!