Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Small petrol engine - cylinder head bolt torque?

Rob G wrote:
On 17 Apr, 01:18, Mike wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:32:31 -0700 (PDT), robgraham

wrote:
I forgot when I posted some days back about my elderly cultivator
engine that I would need to know approximately what torque to tighten
the head bolts to. It's a Briggs and Stratton single cylinder, side
valve petrol engine, 3.5 hp, possibly 1960's vintage. The block is
aluminium.
Briggs and Stratton have a lot of workshop manuals on their website
for both current products and ancient ones. They are complete with
dismantling and rebuild instructions, exploded views and torque
figures, find something that looks similar in construction and use the
figures they quote!

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...nual_and_more/

or you'll more likely find it here

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...d_more/doclist...

--

Thanks Mike - gave me the leads I needed. Interestingly in the end
the torque of 140 in-lbs is standard for 3/8" steel bolts in

Rob

That sounds WAY too much.

10 stone on a foot bar?

Idiot.