Mike Harrison

Default wiring up electrickery to new garage

On 13 Oct 2003 11:18:59 -0700, (Jon Nicoll) wrote:

Hi there
we've just got a new concrete garage built - 40sqm, situated about
10m from the house and around 15m from our consumer unit.

I would like to run mains to this garage, to supply lighting and light
power. I only intend this to be for 'domestic DIY' power, no plant
machinery or anything like that.

I'm competent in actually doing the wiring but a little rusty on
modern practice. My plan #1 is to run a new circuit of 4mm 3core
armoured cable to the garage, then fit a 2-way consumer unit and run
lighting and power off that.

Quick question - is this feasible/sensible? & if not, can anyone
suggest a better alternative?

Thanks for any suggestions
Jon N

Sounds reasonable - It would be a good idea to fit an RCD on the garage socket supply (not the
lights - you don't want them going out when you jigsaw through the cable..!).
Garage supply should have its own MCB in the main house CU